Friday, August 3, 2007

The Final Days...

All of a sudden, it's the August long weekend. I don't know how these summer days have managed to fly by so fast, but here I am... with bags (almost!) packed, tickets and passport in hand (finally, after a month-long battle with the Tanzanian High Commission and Canada Post!), project objectives established, trying to soak up every last drop of home before I embark on what I am sure will be one of the greatest adventures of my life!

For those who are interested ("so what exactly are you going to be DOING there?")... here's a brief summary of some of the projects I intend to take on during my time in Mwanza:
  • Assisting the yogurt Mamas to further develop/expand the Tukwamuane business through various initiatives
  • Networking with TACAIDS & other local NGOs, the Tanzanian government and other groups to further explore opportunities for teaming to move the project forward
  • Continue the work of previous interns in developing educational material to ensure that the community has been properly informed of the benefits and limitations of probiotics
  • Continue to teach the Mamas English
  • For my personal interest, exploring the availability and accessibility of ARV treatment in Mwanza
  • Volunteering with local organizations (i.e. schools, orphanages etc.)
I am confident that all of my preparation will likely be turned on its head when I arrive in Africa, and as such am very open to the fact that my work with the project may end up being completely different from what I'm anticipating. My only hope is that I will be able to contribute to the bettering of the project in whatever capacity I am most needed!

I will post again before take-off... but will sign off with some of the most delicious parts of summer at home:



Summer salads!


Loving on my family...

The Newmarket crew enjoying a summer day on Rossi's yacht...



Going away party for LA- and Africa-bound travellers chez Breanne!

No comments: